Gods Community

It appears you are not logged in. If this is your first time around, please Register and an Admin or Moderator will Privately message you Via, inGame, Game Boards, These GodsComm boards, or Email.

GODSCOMM Board Team

The soul can split the sky in two and let the face of Gods' shine through.

If you guys have noticed, i have been active on beta, alpha and more recently back on eta, theta and zeta. A New Community is being built for Alliances that share the members of my alliances. Currently ONLY the ZETA alliance will be in this alliance, however an extention on beta, and alpha are in the works. from that we should beable to gain some experience and active userbase in which we will be able to expand to theta, eta, and other notable servers. ALL former POG alliances are welcome to Join the New Community.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 36 on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:49 am

Latest topics

» Alliance banners
Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:17 pm by laurelin717

» Active
Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:49 am by Fact

» MERRY CHRISTMASS
Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:42 am by cerberus

» Prayers for the lost
Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 pm by cerberus

» Theft Prevention
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:48 am by Fact

» Ventrilo
Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:13 am by Fact

» NBC Poll
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm by ambrosiaa

» Board look
Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:38 am by Fact

» New Board Functions
Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:05 am by Jergens

Vent Info

ventrilo Hosting by InstantVentrilo.com

Defensive navy = useless?

Eldracar
    Game Operator
    Game Operator

Male
    Number of posts : 591
    Registration date : 2008-11-01

Defensive navy = useless?

Post by Eldracar on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:22 pm

I've been thinking about completely rearranging my navy into a primarily offensive force.

I think it was ambrosiaa who said on these boards that it's better to just let an enemy impale themselves on your walls, and the more I think about it, the more I agree. Even with a strong navy, an enemy can usually get around it with a floating colony, and there is also that bug where ground troops can attack through an ongoing sea battle (and who knows when that will get fixed?). Besides, my ground troops will get the benefit of level 25 walls, while my ships don't have anything like that. The way it looks to me right now, the only thing a navy is good for is for clearing enemy fleets/blockades, and I can maintain a single fleet for that without having to place 30+ ships at each of my cities.

Of course, I'd still keep at least a couple of ships at each city just to force people to blockade me first before they attack.

But change is hard, and I've got a decent sized navy that I am loathe to get rid of. What do you guys think?
    Trance
    Lance Corporal
    Lance Corporal

Male
    Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Re: Defensive navy = useless?

Post by Trance on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Very good points. I like that and probably will follow this strategy whenever I'm done with most seafaring research and upgrades for my ships!
    Johnny H
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Male
    Number of posts : 255
    Registration date : 2008-11-29

Post by Johnny H on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Eldracar wrote:

I think it was ambrosiaa who said on these boards that it's better to just let an enemy impale themselves on your walls,

I remember reading the same thing and having a similar thought. My navy right now is not that big, but I have always felt like that it is very difficult to ever have a defensive navy big enough and still be able to afford the upkeep. As you stated there are no wall bonuses for ships so even if you have a large navy stationed at all of your colonies someone with an equal sized or even smaller navy can take 75% of their ships from 5 or 6 colonies and hit your one and overwhelm you at least long enough to get ground troops in and to cause you a lot of lost ships.

Your idea of having a few ships at each colony so that they have to barricade you before attacking and then having one strong attacking navy that moves to wherever you need seems like an excellent idea. I will also admit to seeing a navy attack coming once and knowing that I was badly outnumbered, moved the most of my fleet to another colony. In doing so I only lost 3 or 4 ships and then my walls and ground forces were able to withstand the ground attack.

Entil'Zha
    Private
    Private

Male
    Number of posts : 6
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by Entil'Zha on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:19 pm

I have 5 main towns and 2 of those towns share an island so I have a defensive navy at 3 of them a strike force of paddle rams at another to break any blockades that may happen and at my 5th one I have 1 ship and no troops as the troops from the shared island town can be moved over it allows me to concentrate my forces navy and army better, and the town with 1 ship has its resources transported away on a regular basis
    ambrosiaa
    Corporal
    Corporal

Male
    Number of posts : 99
    Registration date : 2008-11-28

Defensive navy

Post by ambrosiaa on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

WARNING - please keep in mind that if you dismiss troops, you could really screw yourself over. When you dismiss troops, the citizens go back in to your pool. If there's not enough space in your town hall to hold them - poof they are gone. The correct way to do this is to put your army in queue (citizens are immediately deducted) and then dismiss your old units, so you don't loose citizens.

Yep - I mentioned that I keep one ship in each port. This is meant to force them to send a navy. The cost of them sending a navy to take out my ship will be more than I pay to replace that one ship. Instead I put my upkeep into massive land troops in all cities and 20 spies / level 24 walls.

I very much like the idea of having one offensive fleet at your city of choice. This will allow you to be flexible by letting you either break a blockade on another city or attack other cities from that port. If you are lucky enough to be on an island that gets a fleet cost reduction bonus, then that would be the best place to build your attack fleet. If not, I would consider either your main town or a centralized location.
    yup277
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by yup277 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:23 am

I prefer to just let the enemy crash up against my massive navy =p

Besides, there aren't a lot of people on Zeta who have a big enough military/navy to attack me.

Anyways, I get your point. If you're just starting out building a military, then this is certainly a good strategy.

Eldracar
    Game Operator
    Game Operator

Male
    Number of posts : 591
    Registration date : 2008-11-01

Post by Eldracar on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'm going to be handing out some pink slips to my sailors.

yup277 wrote:I prefer to just let the enemy crash up against my massive navy =p

What are the advantages of that over focusing on a ground based defense? Or is it just personal preference?

The main thing for me is the wall bonus that defenders on land get. I'm thinking that my ground troops will dish out more damage and take fewer losses than a defending fleet would.
    nolanshields
    Game Operator
    Game Operator

Male
    Number of posts : 443
    Registration date : 2008-11-30

Post by nolanshields on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:23 pm

A big challenge of the game militarily is that you can proactively attack in force, but can only reactively defend in force. The only way to know where to defend is to respond to an attack and move the troops to the town(s) which are under threat.

While there is more to stand to lose by keeping no army at each town, essentially the question about the navy could be expanded to all defensive forces. It makes sense to evaluate which towns require maximum protection and which towns require only a small militia.

Perhaps the best thing to do with a strategic fleet is to keep it on the move to whichever town happens to be hoarding the most loot in preparation for the next construction project. This would discourage invaders who attempt to attack by blockade. Of course you could keep a small token fleet at the remaining towns to discourage pillagers who do not bother to blockade first.

If your towns are close together, you could also keep the main fleet in a centralized location and hope to be able to move it on short notice if trouble arises.

One other method of increasing fleet effectiveness would be to try harder to expand on PoG islands. I think this is a strategy our alliance could benefit from. With the cheaper cost of Palace and GR upgrades in 3.0, it's easier to acquire more colonies. And if you're on an island of 16 active (PoG) players, then there is no way your town can come under threat of a floater colony. Therefore, any would-be pillagers must come at you by sea.
    yup277
    Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

Male
    Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2009-01-14

Post by yup277 on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Eldracar wrote:Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I'm going to be handing out some pink slips to my sailors.

yup277 wrote:I prefer to just let the enemy crash up against my massive navy =p

What are the advantages of that over focusing on a ground based defense? Or is it just personal preference?

The main thing for me is the wall bonus that defenders on land get. I'm thinking that my ground troops will dish out more damage and take fewer losses than a defending fleet would.

For me, the advantages of a large navy are that, if you can catch someone off guard and offline, you can blockade a town and intercept goods being transported. Spies can tell you what fleets are moving around and you can plan your blockades that way. I have taken a considerable number of resources this way =o.

Edit: On gamma I am setting up my towns so that they are all on the same island for pillaging purposes. In this case I would certainly have a centralized navy and a moderately centralized army.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 22, 2018 12:52 pm